Ringkøbing has a medieval street grid and Torvet has always been the town's central square with the town hall from 1849.
It has had at least three previous buildings on the same site. It was built with rooms for both the town council and the county council, which had been established in 1841. It also housed the town's fire station and the Guardsmen's room, and on the lower floor there were cells for prisoners and a prison yard facing the church. The city governor was also a judge, so the city court was located in the town hall.
Gradually, the space became too small, so in 1911 a new fire station was built in Nørregade, and in 1919 the courthouse and jail on Kongevejen was completed, so from then on, only the municipal administration was located at Torvet. In connection with the municipal reform in 1970, a new town hall was built by the fjord, and after that, only the county council held its meetings in a fine meeting hall, and the building became known as the County Council House.
When the counties were dissolved at the end of 2006, the entire building was transferred to Ringkøbing-Skjern Municipality, and the downstairs premises were used as a tourist office, the town manager's office and an elf workshop at Christmas, until 2014, when the municipality canceled a registered declaration on the preservation and use of the County Council and the following year received permission for an dispensation from the local plan so that the building could be used for a bank. Ringkjøbing Landbobank moved in on October 1, 2015, and gave the premises a thorough makeover before the old town hall became a bank.